Special thanks to Leontine from Leontine's Book Realm for the super header.


Friday, April 8, 2011

Crazy Idea? Probably.

So on a whim, I contacted our Pride organization to ask about what kind of booths they have at the vendor area on the Sunday of our Pride Festival. I would REALLY like to get some m/m books in there somehow but I was out of town last year and I don't know if our local GLBT bookstore had a presence or not. I'd be happy to work with them if they did and would be interested in doing something more. I just get so frustrated that our largest bookstore doesn't even stock GLBT titles at all. I'd love to spread the word, but I'm just not sure it's feasible or how it works as I've never done this kind of thing. We're no Toronto, we don't get the tens of thousands of visitors, on the other hand we are at the end of August when most of the other festivals are in June so there is less competition.

Sigh. Anyway, whoever got the e-mail said they'd pass it on to whoever deals with that kind of stuff and we'll see what happens. If anyone has had experience doing this kind of thing or would love to come and visit Ottawa in August (TONS of great things to see and do) let me know. I'd love to hear how others have done such things.

On another note, last night we went to the musical that my daughter is in at the high school. I am really blown away sometimes by these kids. They have amazing voices, better than some people you hear on the radio, no auto-tune to clean them up, they can dance at a professional level, they are hilariously funny and it was just a blast. My daughter is just in the chorus but she did well and said that everything went well from their perspective. Saturday night is their last performance and then they are going out to dinner and some of them are going to one of the leads house for a party after. They definitely deserve a break as they have worked their butts off the last month. Rehearsals everyday and all day Saturday and this past week they've had to make-up class work as there have been matinee performances, then this week she gets home at 9:30 and finally gets some dinner and has homework. She's going to sleep for a very long time on Sunday. :-)

I'm very proud of her and all the kids in the show. Too often we hear about what little disgusting worms teenagers are, but these kids are dedicated and have put in hours and hours of work to do something they love, while keeping up school work as most of them are also honour roll students and some of them have jobs as well. There are some really amazing kids out there, not perfect of course, but who are going to make us all proud as when they grow up, despite all our whining about the younger generation. :-) So kudos to my kidlet and her castmates on a job well done.

13 comments:

Chris said...

It's really nice to hear about decent teenagers. :)

If there are any DSP authors in the area, you might be able to work getting a DSP booth there - Heidi Cullinan's contemplating doing a DSP booth at Twin Cities Pride this summer and, if so, I've promised to help. She did several Pride events in Iowa last year.

Other publishers might be interested in doing something similar, esp if they happen to have an author or two in the area...

Tam said...

Honey I'm in Ottawa. "In the area" would mean New York maybe at the closest. LOL Although KA Mitchell and KIL Kenny are within a day's drive. :-)

Guess I'll wait and see what kind of a response I get back from the organizers. Maybe I'll ask Heidi's advice.

Josephine Myles said...

It definitely sounds like you should contact the publishers and see if they'd be willing to send you promo stuff and books on sale or return. I would have thought they'd be glad to have you promote their books for them and reach a potential new market in Ottawa :)

Tam said...

I'll definitely look into it further Jo. May not work out but you never know.

Lily said...

Sounds like a great idea. Good luck with it!!

I'm glad to hear the kids' hard work paid off. Good for them!

Tam said...

Thanks Lily. We'll see what happens. The kids worked hard and are doing great.

wren boudreau said...

Good luck with the Pride idea. I've not got any advice in that arena.

Congrats to your kidlet and the cast! It is amazing what talent young people bring to the table.

Tam said...

Thanks Wren. There is definitely a lot of talent out there.

K. Z. Snow said...

Best of luck with your plan, Tam! I'd participate if I had a chauffeured limo at my disposal. Anything you can do about that? And about making the driver a hottie, too? :)

I love going to school plays and concerts, even if the talent level is lacking. I just think they're all kinds of entertaining.

K. Z. Snow said...

Oh, forgot to say that Dreamspinner is always more than happy to have a "presence" at Pride festivals and other GLBT events. Would you like me to ask on the authors' loop if anybody is near or willing to travel to Ottawa? Or would you rather contact somebody yourself?

Tam said...

Once I figure out if it's going to happen I'll get you to help me KZ. I appreciate that. Oh and I'll have the hottie limo company show up a few days before to give you time to get here. :-)

K. Z. Snow said...

Okay, hon. Just let me know. (I would seriously love to be there, but my car's a worn-out piece of crap and flying is beyond my means.)

Larissa said...

Great idea, Tam! I hope they like it too!