Special thanks to Leontine from Leontine's Book Realm for the super header.


Friday, November 11, 2011

Interview with Kari Gregg

Our last Riptide guest this week, last but not least, is Kari Gregg. Kari's first story with Riptide is Collared and anyone who comments on today's post is eligible to win their book of choice from Kari's backlist. Good luck everyone and let's get down to business.


1. What do you like most about writing?

Creating and exploring new worlds. How does that world work? How doesn't it work? Who's trying to fix what's broken and are they making life better or worse? Who's in charge? No, who's really in charge? How do my heroes fit? I love my worlds and I love discovering how my heroes move inside them.

2. What genre do you write mostly and what appeals to you most about your genre?

I write  contemporaries, fantasy, paranormals, AU, and BDSM (of every flavor). Writerly ADD is obviously an issue. :D Why those stories? Those are the worlds I'm drawn to and revisit again and again.

3. What is the most interesting thing you have learned from your research?

The Blooming Onion at Outback Steakhouse has 1600 calories. Have I ever used this in a story? No. But I'm weirdly fascinated by this.

4. Where do you get the names for your characters?

Any- and everywhere. I got a name from a tombstone once. Serious. Connor's name, though, is perfectly non-weird. A casual acquaintance (who is nothing like my character, by the way) is named Connor and the name stuck in my head until my hero took form.

5. Tell us about your latest release (s)?

Collared features a world in flux. A natural disaster caused when genetically engineered crops mutated and propagated in the wild is producing a biological shift in the aggression centers of the brain and those affects -- as well as civilization's response to them -- are still intensifying. Connor Witt had everything he ever wanted, a promising relationship and a successful career, until the disaster. Instead of becoming bigger and badder like everyone else, Connor is an anomaly. His aggression hasn't been stimulated by the changing environment. He is one of the rare few whose dominant traits have been suppressed. When predatory security consultant Emmett makes a move on Connor, David -- Connor's boss -- collars him to keep Emmett away. One man offers safety; the other is the safer best. Who will Connor choose for his master?

6. What are you working on next?

In the Red is a m/m BDSM mystery for Loose Id. My forensic accountant was a rising star at TFOS, Terrorism Financing Operations Section in the FBI, until he was abducted and left for dead nine days later. What he endured during those nine days broke him, not so much physically as mentally, but he's fighting his way back. All evidence to the contrary -- his retreat to an isolated rural house in the mountains of western Maryland where he's amassed enough weaponry to hold off the zombie hoard and keeps enough lamps lit in his tiny house to pinpoint the glow from the international space station. Too bad TFOS needs him back so badly. He was on to something with that last case, something big The FBI tasks Special Agent Zachary Murdock with gluing the boy wonder back together and getting him back to work. Zachary isn't sure which presents the biggest complication: the accountant's special brand of crazy, the case they're working or the closeted sub's surprising -- and surprisingly enthralling -- kink.

7. What fascinates you most about writing m/m?

Two strong guys striking that magical balance with one another and the dance leading up to that balance. Even in BDSM, especially in BDSM, where in spite of appearances, subs are (IMO) stronger than their Doms and subs are the ones who are truly running the show.

8. What do you enjoy reading the most?

Two heroes for the price of one. Does it get any better? Nope.

9. What are you reading now?

A historical account of the 1938 Hurricane. Yeah, I know. Sexy, no? LOL. If it helps any, I just finished re-reading Jet Mykles' Heaven Sent series. Loves me some hot rockers.

10. Who are your favorite authors?

For kink, I'm a Kim Dare fangirl, but I repeat read titles from Jamie Craig, J.C. Owens, and Thom Lane, too. (Although to be fair, the Aramanth series isn't strictly BDSM since slavery is a cultural convention rather than a choice, but nonetheless, WOW.) Non-kink, I love Josh Lanyon, K.A. Mitchell, L.B. Gregg, Joely Skye (for her shifter series)...so many wonderful authors. So much m/m goodness. ;D

11. What would you advise an aspiring author?

Don't quit. Keep writing. Keep learning and growing your craft.

12. Is there anything you'd like to tell your readers?

I have over 200 books in my K3's TBR file. Help me. Please.

13. How can readers connect with you?

If you would like to catch up with Kari, caffeinate yourself and head on over to http://www.karigregg.com/
Friend Kari on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Kari.M.Gregg
Follow Kari on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#%21/karigregg
Find Kari at Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4366316.Kari_Gregg

Thanks so much for stopping by Kari and you are not alone with that TBR file. I've heard much higher numbers that made my hair curl. Good luck with your new projects.

8 comments:

Chris said...

Oh, In the Red is definitely going on my wishlist - it sounds great!

Bookishly Awesome said...

In the Read... I have to read that.

sabrinayala at gmail dot com

booklover0226 said...

Collared and In the Red have been added to my must have list.

Bloomin' onions....drool...

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Kari Gregg said...

Thanks for stopping by, guys!

In the Red, I'm pretty sure, is scheduled to release at LI in January, but you can read some snippets of it on my blog -- I've sampled ITR quite a bit for Marie Sexton's #SaturdaySnark

:D

The Scarf Princess said...

I LOVED Lovely Wicked and would love to revisit that highly emotional couple again.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Bookwyrm369 said...

Great post! I'm really looking forward to reading Collared :-)

smaccall AT comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Absolutely can't wait to read Collared, but it sounds like I'm going to have to pick up some more of your work. =)

adara adaraohare com

-Maria- said...

Great interview.
Collared is in my must read list ^_^