Special thanks to Leontine from Leontine's Book Realm for the super header.


Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Nothing, nothing, nothing ... but a rainbow of cookies

So I have not been reading as much as I usually am or maybe I'm reading different stuff. With two blogs now my books tend to be quite delineated between the shorts and the medium/longs. I just haven't seemed as into it either so you are getting some cookies and housekeeping today. Notice the cookies are in a rainbow formation? Huh? Huh? Pretty snazzy huh?

I've been very busy on the other blog. Next week Brief Encounters is having a very special week. We are going to have some non-book give-aways, random fun posts, author interviews (of a sort), oh yeah and those pesky review things we have to do. :-) So the announcement will be on the weekend and the fun starts next Monday so hope you'll stop by and say hi.

On a more serious note. The floods in Australia are just awful. It doesn't seem to be getting any better. Sean Kennedy posted some links on his Live Journal page where you can contribute financially if you would like to help the cause. He has a general link and one specifically for helping animals, but any amount will be appreciated I'm sure. I did notice for the RSPCA one you need an Australian postal code but I just "borrowed" one and then it will accept your donation.

I know the weather has also been crazy down in the southern US with snow and ice and freezing rain in places that are certainly not accustomed to it. So I hope everyone stays safe and warm and doesn't risk going out if you can at all avoid it until your roads are a bit clearer.

On an up-note, my kidlet had her first ever interview today. It was only for a volunteer position in a seniors home doing odd jobs, but she "got" the position and will be starting after her school musical is over as she's pretty much busy 4-5 days a week after school with that until April. Kids here need a certain number of volunteer hours to graduate so she'll easily get those with this position and it will be good experience to show up on time and do an assigned task.

So have a wonderful Wednesday, and may thing start to improve SOON for all who need a break for whatever reason.







19 comments:

wren boudreau said...

Oh Tam. What a lovely rainbow you've provided!!

Congrats to the kidlet on getting the job :)

The weather is nuts, yeah? I've got a couple stories of my own to tell on that score, but nothing like the horrible Flooding down under.

Even tho' I don't spend a lot of time at your other blog, I'm looking forward to see what surprises you and Jen have in store!

Chris said...

Very nice rainbow, Tam!!

I've always found that if I "have" to read, it makes me less likely to read. That's why, as tempted as I've been to pick up a part-time editing job, I've resisted. I think it would ruin the joy I get from reading.

It's crazy out there in the world of weather. I keep thinking about the song "Keep Everybody Warm" by the Prairie Cartel...

Tam said...

Thanks Wren. It is awful in Australia. And now another big storm predicted for the NE US. We've managed to avoid them all up here, it's kind of odd.

I guess I don't really HAVE to read but I've been trying to keep up and kind of got to a burn-out point plus it seems like I've had lots of non-reading stuff to do. Ah well. I'll get back to it.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Love the rainbow - thank you. I'm now stalking you at Brief Encounters too :)

The weather is a total WTF.

Congrats to the kidlet!

w/v: awimp <--hey!!!

Tam said...

Naughty WordVeri. He's getting insulting.

It looks like it's going to be another crazy weather winter. Stalkers are good though, we like 'em. :-)

Jenre said...

Yummy pics Tam :).

Next week is going to be great at BER and you're a complete star for getting everything organised.

Hope the reading situation improves. I've found, now that I've cut back, that I feel a lot more relaxed about the books I do have to read for review because I can choose to read something else inbetween. I'm currently reading a non-review book and enjoying it immensely :)

Tam said...

Thanks Jen. It was fun, but now I'm kind of drooping. :-) I don't HAVE to read books here for review really, I read what I want, but I'm just kind of in a blah reading mode. It will change. I'm all about cycles. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good for the kidlet! I hope she has fun volunteering.

Rainbows and cookies are two of the things I love the most. Thanks for those!

I have been following the weather in Australia. It's horrid and my heart goes out to those folks.

K. Z. Snow said...

Thanks for a colorful start to my day, Tam. Pleasant contrast to the grayness outside. :)

Can't wait to see what you've got in store at the BE blog! I don't wander over there too much because I rarely read shorts, but from what I've seen so far, you two are doing a bang-up job.

Heartbreaking, what's happening to folks in Queensland. Those are some of the most ferocious flood waters I've ever seen. It's truly been a depressing news week.

Tam said...

Thanks Eyre. Rainbows are nice aren't they, all types. :-)

The weather has been crazy, I can only imagine what it feels like to see everything you own gone.

Lily said...

Congrats to the kidlet!!! I did similar volunteer work in Jr High and it was a great experience although a bit sad as well. Hope everything goes well for her there.

Mother Nature does seem to be on a rampage lately. It was in the low 70s a few days ago and this morning it was 25. Talk about ups and downs. :)

Thanks for the oh so very lovely rainbow!

Tam said...

It's a bit gray here today too KZ. Hope you'll stop by BE next week, it's going to be a delicious decadent week. I hope. :-)

2011 is not off to a roaring start on the new front so I can only hope it will be uphill from here.

Tam said...

Well, she's not a fan of old people Lily (what teen is?) but she finds small children even worse, so there aren't a lot of options outside of those two. This place looks interesting, it's an old converted house where everyone has their own room but it's communal living where everyone eats together, argues over the remote, more family-like. Sounds kind of neat.

Hope you get back to your normal weather soon Lily. It's been crazy in some places.

Average Reader said...

Spectacular rainbow, Tam! :) Congrats to the kid on the new volunteer position. This sounds good and maybe next she can get a position that's an even better fit like volunteering with horses or something like that. I'll be stopping by the BE blog for sure next week. :)

Tam said...

Thanks Val. Although there are opportunities for her to work at her barn, I'm not sure shoveling horse manure is really great "job experience". She seems to have come to the conclusion on her own that riding is something she does for fun, but as for a career, the monetary opportunities are few and far between. We'll look forward to seeing you next week.

Kris said...

Lovely cookies. A big congrats to the kid. And I'll let you know if I get anything in the mail for you. :)

Tam said...

LOL If you got anything using my name and address and your postal code I salute the Australian postal service. :-)

Michelle M. said...

Hurray for Kristen!

Tam said...

Thanks Michelle.