Special thanks to Leontine from Leontine's Book Realm for the super header.


Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Torquere Tuesday

I got a few shorter books from Torquere lately, so this post is all Torquere all the time.

I enjoyed my long weekend. Monday was a lazy day although we got most of the Halloween costume taken care of, but mostly we've just been hanging out, reading, watching TV and the kidlet working on homework. A short week will be nice.

Throw Me a Bone by Stevie Woods (25 pages)

Malcolm and Guy were best friends when Guy tells him he loves him. Things are going perfect despite the fact that Guy needs to keep their relationship a secret because of his job. Suddenly Guy is making up excuses for not being home and Malcolm sees him with another guy twice. He's sure that's never going to be enough for any man and when Guy invites him over for dinner he thinks he's going to get dumped. When Guy realizes what Malcolm thinks the truth comes out. I could see why Malcolm believed what he did, his self-esteem left him open to thinking it was he was inadequate as a lover and yes, open communication would have helped, but to be honest I identified with Malcolm so to me it didn't seem out of the realm of the possible.

Shifting Perspectives 1 by Nerine Petros (45 pages)

Oliver is a butcher in a small Outback town in Australia. He's the only gay man in a town full of shifters. As the off-spring of a human and shifter he can't shift. One day a new guy comes into town and a pack of 6 dingo shifters have moved in, exiled from their people because they are gay. At the town meeting he sees the alpha Angus who schemes to get him out to the ranch where he makes his claim. Without apparent use of lube his first time. Ouch. This is a series obviously (Book 1 gave it away LOL) and up next seems to be a mated pair and Oliver's shop assistant who is straight. Uh huh. Suuuuure. It was nice to have it in a different setting and it was kind of cool that the author put a glossary of some of the aboriginal/Aussie terms in the back, things like terms of endearment.

What to Do On a Friday Night by Misa Izanaki (20 pages)

We're back at the Body Shop and Aoi is recovering from his accident and bored. He decides to "clean" the hall closet knowing his birthday present is in there and when caught by Itzuki claims he was getting the Scrabble game and proposes a game of strip Scrabble. Seems Aoi has a thing for words, and he manages to get Itzuki to say kumquat and pirate which makes him wild. When Aya is home the next night and Aoi finds out he can say onomatopoeia, Aoi can't get the Scrabble game set up fast enough. This was a humorous little stories with the use of unusual words as a turn-on. It was very cute.


Dream a Little Dream by Amylea Lyn (170 pages)

Aiden is a Dr. at a psychiatric hospital who is starting to burn out and is especially touched by one young man Cael who is nearly 19 but there on observation. Cael has never spoke and always carries a sketch pad. He finally gets a breakthrough and is shocked to find that Cael has been sexually abused at the hospital along with other patients. He calls in his cop lover Jake and the perp gets away. It's decided that it would be best if Aiden stays in protective custody and they convince them to let Cael stay with them. Cael was in foster care since he was 7 and has a special power. He can dream the future. Both Aiden and Jake are attracted but don't want to push until eventually they give in to their feelings only to have the bad guy show up again. On the whole I enjoyed this, I was maybe a bit squicked by the fact that Adien had been Cael's Dr., and he was quite a bit younger than the men, I also though Aiden and Jake kind of jumped on the "three-whee" bandwagon pretty quickly after being exclusive for 6 years but despite these little niggles I enjoyed it, but I am a sucker for taking in the lost broken little waif and healing him with love and acceptance. It's a weakness, what can I say?

15 comments:

Chris said...

Hmm. I think that I would keep thinking "Adrien and Jake" while reading Dream a Little Dream....

Oh! Look! It's one of my Misadventures guys (sans cowboy hat) on Shifting Perspectives! *makes note*

Average Reader said...

Dingo shifters? That's unusual!

Tam said...

Huh, now that you say it Chris, but since I haven't read the series it didn't twig for me about the names.

It was a bit different Val, but it didn't really give much description of how they were different from wolves except for being exiled and there was some discussion about why they were bonded so closely to their mate (pain being apart physically) due to their solitary nature. But then, the 6 guys eat a whole cow a week, a carnivore's dream men. :-)

wren boudreau said...

Just so long as the dingoes don't eat anybody's babies...

Tam said...

ROFL Not so far Wren, but it's only Book 1.

Jenre said...

Was a bit worried when I saw that you'd reviewed a load of shorts. Fortunately only the Stevie Woods story is calling to me so I think my purse (or credit card rather) is safe :).

Tam said...

It was an interesting one Jen. I know a lot of people have issues with the sex heals all abusive emotional/physical wounds but I tend to be a sucker for it even when it happens a bit fast as it did here.

Save your money for drinking in SF. :-) LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with any of these authors. I'll have to check them out.

Tam said...

I've read a couple by Stevie Woods and Misa Izanaki has the whole Body Shop series, but I saw on Torquere Social today that it's Nerine's first book and I've not heard of the other author either so it may be her first as well. At least with Torquere.

Lily said...

I haven't read any of these although Dream a Little Dream by Amylea Lyn sounds really good. Another one for my TBB wish list. :)

Tam said...

I did enjoy it Lily. Hope when you get to it you do too. :-)

Tracy said...

The lost broken little waif is a fav of mine as well so I can see how you'd like that last book.

LOL I had the same thought about the dingoes and babies as well. I guess it means they can't piss off their mate or they'll get eaten? :)

Thanks for the heads up on the shorts. :)

Tam said...

That whole dingo/baby thing is truly in the mind of everyone who's over the age of about 20. LOL The advantage of a gay relationship, no babies to imperil.

Erotic Horizon said...

I am liking the last one - sounds right up my street... I like that sort of set-up..

:)

Tam said...

For those like me who can live with some plot holes with that particular theme it is an enjoyable read. I'm able to let a lot go but I know for some people it makes them nuts. :-)