Special thanks to Leontine from Leontine's Book Realm for the super header.


Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday of a super short work week!!!

Only two days of work this week and then my daughter and I are off to San Francisco to hook up with the ladies where we will be tourists and visit Yaoi Con where we will be fan girls stalking he m/m authors we've been able to figure out are going to be there. Of course I have a ton of things to do before we leave Wed. morning, at work and home, but it will all get done, it always does. You'd think I wouldn't be reading so much but .... I tend to work better under pressure. :-) That's what I tell myself anyway.

Corruption by Jack Greene (26 pages)
Phaze Books

Tom and his friends plan to go out to 80's night but end up in a goth/industrial club. Tom sees a dancer in a cage and thinks she's gorgeous. When he finally sees her face, ack! she's a he. He freaks as he's never been attracted to men before and runs, but he can't get the guy out of his head and goes back the next week. This time he guy comes up to him and says he likes straight guys and takes him home. It's amazing, but the guy is used to straight guys who never call back (duh, that's what happens when you sleep with straight guys) but Tom is determined to show Cameron he's different. He finds out where he works and sends him flowers, takes him out for dinner and reveals his feelings. This runs very close to the insta-love line, they both admit to almost love after seeing each other twice in 2 weeks and Tom is pretty open after his initial freak-out to being with a guy. However the sex scenes were hot and for a little short it was good.

Core Training by Andrew Grey (81 pages)
Dreamspinner Press

Hugh is feeling depressed. It's his 44th birthday, he's single and hating getting old. However sexy little Max comes onto him at the gym and they end up in bed. Hugh is a one-night-stand-only kind of guy but that just makes him more depressed, however he can't figure out why a hot young thing like Max would be interested in an old fogy like him. Max does his best to convince him, but he's also dealing with an alcoholic father who blames his drinking on the fact that Max is gay. This is set in the world of the gym of Spot Me and Pump Me Up and you get to see Dan and Lonnie. Lonnie kills me, he is so rude and crude and funny. This smacks pretty close to insta-love as well (do I have a theme here?). They only date twice and both are declaring their nearly-love. I think it would have been better if they had more time to get to know each other and work through the age-difference thing. But still, it fit with the rest in the series.

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Clare London (57 pages)
Amber Allure

Gary is stuck in the airport in Glasgow. The deal was he would meet his best friend Will who is flying in from the US and they are going to meet up with some friends for a group holiday. Unfortunately The Delay is causing all flights to be late by about 10 hours and since he can't reach the organizers of the holiday and doesn't know the hotel he's stuck waiting, although he promised Will he would wait. He suddenly gets a couple of young kids as companions as he waits and their questions trigger him to do some thinking about his relationship with Will, what he really wants and how he feels about Will's chance to take a high power job in the US leaving London. This was a very cute story, Will and Garry only get together in the last couple of pages, the entire book is Garry and the kids and its at turns humorous and touching and a bit sad. A cute concept how something you are angry about like a delay can turn out to be a good thing in the end.

16 comments:

Jenre said...

Hmm, I'm tempted by the Jack Green story, especially now that I'm prepared for the near insta-love.

Clare's stories are always good value and I must get that one.

Three days and we meet!
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Tam said...

I did enjoy it despite the insta-love.

I know, three days. Hard to believe. Ack! I did not pack as planned this weekend. Ooops.

K. Z. Snow said...

God, Tam, when your page appeared with that toothy emoticon, I nearly fell off my desk chair! Looked like the damned thing was ready to leap out of the monitor and onto my neck. (Good Halloween scare, though, I must admit.)

Tam said...

LOL I'm just so happy it's a short week. Although right now I am freaking out big time. Arrgghhh. Not. Ready. And I was the one telling Kris everything would be fine. Yeah right.

Lily said...

I've read Core Training which was nice and the other two sound good as well.

Hope you and the gang have a marvelous time in SF!!

Tam said...

They were all pretty good reads if a bit rushed on the love front in the first two.

I think we'll have fun, or end up killing one another. LOL I'm hoping the former. :-) Pictures to follow. ;-)

Chris said...

Jen: I wouldn't read Clare's book while you're waiting for your plane! :)

I have Corruption, buried somewhere on my ereader...

wren boudreau said...

If you kill each other, it will be with laughter!

Love the emoticon!

Tam said...

Eeek. There better not be A Delay for Jen. I'm not waiting 10 hours at the airport for her. I love her but not in "that way". LOL

I think you're right Wren. I'm sure we'll have a blast.

Average Reader said...

These all sound good, and Clare's especially is an original concept. Great reviews!

Tam said...

Clare's was really interesting with no real interaction between the protags. It was a nice change.

I think you'll find the second one without nearly enough conflict for you (and a healthy dose of insta-love) but I'm a sucker for following an interconnected series once I get going. :-)

Michelle M. said...

Vacation! Hurray! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Tam said...

I'm looking forward to it too Michelle. Got one suitcase packed with all the essentials (i.e. Halloween costumes, presents and books). :-)

Chris said...

PRESENTS?! O.o

Tam said...

*whispers* cookies Unfortunately no cookies for you, 'cause they are not gluten free. I have to send some down under.

Chris said...

Whew. Ok.